Anytime a business or organization is building a publicly accessible parking lot, it is important…
Repairing Your Asphalt for Long Term Results
The first step in parking lot maintenance is awareness and prevention.
Are tree roots damaging the asphalt? Is water deteriorating a specific area? Are trash trucks damaging the asphalt?
Asphalt, when properly maintained, is designed to last 25 to 35 years. Without proper maintenance, parking lots can be destroyed in a few years.
The best method for maintaining asphalt in Texas is to seal coat every 2-4 years. Seal coating forms a protective barrier from the weather and chemicals and locks in the moisture to stay flexible.
Asphalt allowed to dry out becomes rigid, and as it expands and contracts cracks begin to form, allowing water to penetrate to the sub base beneath it. When the base becomes washed out in an area, the already dry asphalt has no foundation to support the weight of traffic. Potholes form and the ripple effect of deterioration begins.
- Water drainage causes major damage to asphalt.
- Creating drainage patterns improves the life of a parking lot.
- Gutters from buildings to channel water, and concrete culverts offer the best prevention against water damage.
- Maintaining a rubberized seal between the culverts and asphalt with sealer or crack fill is the best defense against the damaging effects of water.
- Tree roots cause significant damage to parking lots as they grow and expand through the asphalt and curbing. Often the only solution is to expand the bed area adjacent to the tree.
- Areas near dumpsters are a constant problem area for property managers.
- The ruts are inexpensively repaired with new asphalt and road base.
- However, concrete dumpster pads offer a more rigid, solid base for the weight of the front tires on trash trucks. Concrete pads include rebar to add additional support and may actually be more cost effective over the long term.
Why Seal Coat Every 2 – 4 Years?
Your parking lot’s greatest enemy is not just the punishment from daily traffic. Heat, sunlight and moisture all negatively affect your parking lot surface. Seal Coat protects your asphalt by sealing small cracks less than an 1/8” to prevent water penetration
- Seal Coat aids in slowing pavement oxidation of the sun by blocking damaging effects of ultraviolet rays.
- Seal coat prevents oil and gas from seeping into the asphalt and causing further damage to your investment.
- This is especially important on driveways where cars are parked or worked on. Oil and gasoline soften asphalt. PaveShield sealer contains additives that resist chemicals. By filling surface voids, seal coating also reduces the depth to which oil or gas can penetrate the pavement.
- Seal coat is an inexpensive product that enhances the curb appeal of your property. A rich dark parking lot helps your property stand out and marks your company as the one that takes pride in its property.
- Cracks in the pavement enable water to penetrate the pavement, often into the sub base, weakening and reducing the pavement’s strength. Seal coating protects the surface and fills surface voids, reducing pavement’s exposure to oxygen and water and extending pavement life.
- Ultraviolet rays cause pavement to deteriorate and crumble. Regularly applied seal coat helps to prevent ultraviolet rays from penetrating the pavement
- Seal coating brings back the dark color of the pavement, making it look and wear like new.
- Seal coated pavement is also easier to clean and maintain. Because seal coat fills surface voids, a seal coated surface is much smoother. And a smoother surface is easier to sweep, wash and maintain
About Integrity Paving and Coatings: Serving Central Texas since 2007, Integrity Paving and Coatings is known for Quality, Efficiency, Logistics, Communications and Transparency. Integrity Paving and Coatings consistently provides the highest level of customer service and professional workmanship. For a free on-site estimate and honest evaluation of your property please fill out our contact forum, or call us at 844-PAVETEX. You can learn more about our services here.